The Presbyterian Women’s group is always looking for new members. If you have been wanting to get involved in this important ministry that serves our community and beyond, you are encouraged to join us for our monthly, “Brown Bag Lunch” meetings, which are held at First Presbyterian Church on the first Monday of each month, October through May. This casual get-together begins at 11:30am. Simply bring your sandwich and we will provide the beverage, desert, and fellowship! While we enjoy the time we share as friends, our Presbyterian women also serve in many capacities, benefiting not only our church, but our local community, nation and world. We invite any woman, church member or not, to come and fellowship with us!
Following is a list of some of the projects we have supported or contributed to:
- Holly Berry Bazaar & Bake Sale-2nd Saturday in November (the 11th) and proceeds enable us to support the following projects.**We need lots of baked goods and “attic treasures” to have a successful sale. Please begin your baking early in Nov. and load your freezer!
- Banners for Sanctuary*
- Reception for weddings and funerals*
- Fair Trade Coffee Sale-Supplements the earnings of coffee workers in Mexico.****
- Buckhorn & Bellewood-Children’s homes in KY***
- Treat bags-bags with snacks and treats given to our college students during exam week.**
- Hygiene Kits-Zip lock bags containing hygiene supplies for disaster victims.***
- Girl’s Confidence and Self Esteem Day-Speakers on grooming and health.**
- Victims of Hurricane Katrina-300 Victims were housed at camp WOW. PW provided meals.***
- Need Line-Food Pantry, donating items needed and working at the pantry to sort food.**
- Summer-Donation toward the purchase of a Diabetic Aide Dog for an individual.
- Montreat-Scholarships to help youth and adults attend camp or conferences.*
- Living Waters to the World-Support a team to be trained & install a fresh water system in Mexico.****
- Lions Club-Children’s eye program.***
- CASA-Support children’s rights in the court system.**
- Main Street Youth-Murray youth organization.**
- Assisted living homes-Conducted games for the residents.**
- Mission Pledge-Presbytery mission support.***
- Thank Offering-Worldwide mission work.***
- Birthday Offering-Mission work in and out of the country.**
- Least Coin-Evangelism and relief throughout the world.****
- School Backpack Program through Needline
The officers for the Presbyterian Women are:
Moderator -Ann Stanley
Secretary – Patsy Chaney
Treasurer – Marcie Johnson
Historian – Cheryl Pittman
There are three Presbyterian Women (PW) Circles and they meet September thru May. We would love to have you join us in this time of study and fellowship!
Dorothy McKenzie Circle and the Dorothy Moore Circle meets the 2nd Monday of each month at 1:00pm in a member’s home. Members study the lesson prior to the meeting. During Circle time they discuss the reading and then close with fellowship over dessert. We will study the book “Twelve Women of the Bible” by Lisa Terheurst at our first meeting on September 12th. Please contact Ann Stanley (270-753-8747) for more information.
The Beth Belote Circle meets the 2nd Thursday of the month at the home of Debbie Burgess, 1710 Audubon Drive, Murray at 6 pm. This is an opportunity for working women to be involved in a PW Circle. For more information you can contact Debbie (270-753-8831) or Renee (270-227-7714).